Like many people, I have begun reading through the One Year Bible, using just the old testament and psalms portions (more manageable for me that way). Well, last week I read about Noah and the flood in Genesis 6-9. God destroys the earth because of the wickedness of mankind, but he saves righteous Noah and his family. After the flood, God tells Noah that he will never again flood the earth like that, and establishes a covenant with Noah - and the sign of that covenant is the rainbow. What I found interesting is that God does NOT say that the rainbow is a sign for US to remember this about God, but for GOD to remember! "When..the rainbow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature...When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature..." Genesis 9:14-16 Now, I thought, God is God, does He actually need a sign to remember things? (The answer is NO.) But I believe it's because He wants US to know that HE remembers His covenant. God keeps His promises!
And, ironically very soon after reading this, I was blown away to see the most glorious rainbow of my life just a couple of days later...the pictures don't even do it justice. You could see it stretch from side to side, perfectly, and it was magnificently bright. People were coming out of their houses to gaze at it and take pictures. Amazing: God's rainbow takes our breath away...now if only we understand the truth of what it represents...God keeps His promises! May we trust Him today!


What a beautiful shot! :-) Great thoughts on a great topic. I'm so thankful for the Lord's promises (especially not to flood the earth again! scary.) Chat with you soon!
ReplyDelete